Harmonix was the first distrubtor of drum set peripherals designed specifically for a video game. The Rock band drum set consists of four drum pads and a kick pedal.
From left to right the colors of the drum pads are;
- red, (Snare Drum)
- yellow, (Hi-Hat)
- blue, (Tom-Tom)
- green (Crash Cymbols).
- The kick pedal is colored orange (Bass Drum).
In game, the red pad most often represents a snare drum.
The only exceptions are on lefty flip and in a few songs that place
- red as the hi-hat.
- Yellow is primarily the hi-hat although in fills it becomes a tom.
- Blue often alternates between ride cymbal and tom drum function.
- Green is almost always used as a crash cymbal but it can also be used as a floor tom on rare occasions.
Lefty flip causes the drum track to be reversed. A red note for a right-handed drummer would become a green note on lefty flip. On the track, the four drum pads appear colinear in the order that they appear on the drum set. Kick drum notes appear as horizontal orange lines. The height of the drum pads can be adjusted up to 27" above the ground and down to 18". The kick drum pedal can be placed anywhere on one of the horizontal beams of the drum set base. A common problem with the kick drum pedal is that it will, more than likely, eventually break.
Pro mode for drums is introduced in Rock Band 3, requiring players to equip the existing drum set with up to three cymbal units. The game will mark cymbal notes differently than regular pad notes, and the drum player will be required to hit the cymbals instead for these notes when they occur.
- Red Pad = Snare Drum
- Yellow Pad = Tom Tom 1
- Blue Pad = Tom Tom 2
- Green Pad = Floor Tom
- Orange Pedal = Bass Drum
- Yellow Cymbal = Hi-Hat Cymbal
- Blue Cymbal = Ride Cymbal
- Green Cymbal = Crash Cymbal
- Note: However, the yellow cymbal or the blue cymbal can be the crash and the green cymbal can be the ride sometimes. One of the examples is "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" by Green Day. If this song is exported to Rock Band 3 and when users play on Expert Pro Drums, in the chorus, the green cymbal is considered the ride and the blue is considered the crash.